Over the last few years, the safety standards in the food and beverage industry have improved dramatically. The manufacturers are now more focused on the safety and sanitation in their production processes to prevent contamination.
Being one of the decisive components in almost all food processing systems and equipment, the seals and gaskets have also undergone multiple modifications over time. Instead of standard plastic, today’s seals and gaskets are made from safe and proven FDA compliant polyurethane.
This significant move was based on the realization that a considerable part of the sanitary issues and food contamination is caused from gasket or sealing units made from poor quality materials. With the growing consciousness about health and hygiene across all product segments, it makes sound business sense to choose FDA compliant polyurethane.
What is FDA Compliant Polyurethane?
There is a myriad of choices when it comes to gasket material including Viton, silicone, EPDM, PTFE, and polyurethane. Polyurethane is the only material out of these that’s used to make FDA compliant seals and gaskets. There are many reasons why polyurethane tends to be the most suitable material for making food-grade equipment:
- It meets all the NSF regulations and FDA requirements for food processing applications, and is non-allergenic, non-marking, and non-toxic
- Polyurethane has high abrasion and impact resistance
- It is resistant to breaking, tearing, and cracking
- It is tear-resistant and has high tensile properties
- It is an extremely versatile elastomer, known for its high load-bearing capacity
- FDA compliant polyurethane is resistant to extreme environmental factors involving acids, oils, solvents, and heat
- It lasts longer compared to other gasket and sealing materials
- It has incredibly high mechanical strength even at super low temperatures
- Polyurethane performs really well at temperatures ranging from -30 F to 220 F
- It is resistant to aromatic hydrocarbons, and vegetable and mineral oils, making it ideal for food-grade applications
- It doesn’t allow mildew, mold, and fungi to grow when in constant contact with edible items
- It can be formulated with different color pigments to create many types of sanitary seals and gaskets
When it comes to sanitation requirements, the food processing industry is probably the most demanding industry. Using FDA compliant polyurethane maximizes health and safety and can give you a competitive edge.
Where You Can Get the Best FDA Compliant Polyurethane Components
Uniflex Inc. is the leading manufacturer of FDA approved urethane parts including FDA approved:
- Urethane sprockets
- And more
We understand that improving detectability in FDA approved polyurethane parts is critical to prevent contamination – minor and major – which will ultimately save you a lot of time and money in the process.
We can help you if you need US-made FDA compliant polyurethane for:
- Inspection tables
- Conveyor belts
- Chute liners
- Custom molded parts
Our rapid prototyping capabilities allow us to go from “print” to “part” within 8-12 business days.
Call Uniflex Inc. Today For Quality FDA Compliant Polyurethane Components
For over 40 years, Uniflex Inc has focused on precision and speed to manufacture the premium-quality cast and molded polyurethane parts. If you have any questions or concerns, please call us at 248-486-6000 or contact us online and our representatives will get back to you promptly.